Legal Maxim spoke to The Spice Box, a catering service priding itself in providing fresh home made cooked food, about how to avoid sickness from consuming food by adopting hygienic practices in the kitchen when preparing food. This special post highlights just that.
It is shocking to see lack of concern for hygiene when we prepare or purchase cooked food from anywhere, be it a restaurant or our local bakery. We focus a lot on the price of the delicacy before us and even the brand but never think about what went into making that lovely looking goodie.
“It is shocking to see lack of concern for hygiene when we prepare or purchase cooked food from anywhere, be it a restaurant or our local bakery.”
This is a list of the top 10 practices all of us should make a habit of and demand from suppliers of cooked food. Its a matter of your health and adopting healthy hygienic cooking practices is neccessary to keep you healthy. So here goes:
1. Its necessary for a kitchen or any primary cooking areas to be ventilated and kept clean.
2. Any food item must be protected from insects and spraying of any insecticide in the kitchen should be done by first removing all food items in the vacinity.
3. Before handling food you must always wash your hands with a disinfecting soap.
4. Those who cook must have trimmed nails, not be wearing hand jewellery and always have their hair tied back in the cooking area.
5. Keep uncooked meat separate from other food items and after handling raw meat always wash your hands throughly as well as the chopping board.
6. Wash vegetables and fruits throughly as most of the times they have been sprayed with pesticides.
7. Always transfer cooked food into clean serving containers.
8. Don’t leave cooked food outside of the refrigerator.
9. Keep cooked food in refrigerators but don’t keep defrosting cooked food more than once or twice. Also don’t leave food in refridgerators for too long a period.
10. Eat freshly prepared food and don’t use any food beyond its expiry date.
The Spice Box hopes that you will make these 10 practices part of your lives too particularly when they don’t cost anything but can save you from a big Doctors Bill.